Re: Draft Charter IPSEC WG

Steve,

You may very well have a point concerning a separate KM WG. It
is certainly our intent/direction in the BOF discussions, to keep
the key management in the applications layer. I personally advocate
a standardized approach for applications level key management both
for network layer security services as well as applications like PEM.
The previous work within CAT and PEM must not be ignored, nor do
we have the energy/cycles to waste re-inventing key management techniques.

Al H.

<Given the ongoing work in CAT and PEM has significant key management
<aspects, I wonder if a separate WG might be a good place to develop a
<key management protocol that is already proposed to live in the
<application layer?  I would hate to see the network layer focus of
<this WG cause a key management protocol to arise which might be too
<layer 3-centric.  Of course close co-ordination would need to be
<maintained between two the WGs if a separate KM WG was formed, to
<ensure that the resulting protoco, adequately supports the
<requirements of a layer 3 security protocol.