Re: Draft Charter IPSEC WG

At the ipsec meeting, I spoke in favor of having a separate WG for key
management.
Steve Crocker then offered his objection as outlined in his e-mail message:
   that layer 3 e3 protocol without fully specified key management is worthless.
I think Phil Karns has now answered Crocker's objection.

I believe it necessary to split off key management in order to get anything
done in either group. The key mgmt group will discuss a very different set
of issues than ipsec will.  The ipsec group probably also will get dragged
into the ROAD issues, since there is no other group to address security
question for a new IP.

These wgs need to be separate to achieve focus and move forward.  I think
that the last year of PEM delays shows the disadvantage of tolerating a
forced linkage between technical areas.  Everything is linked in the
Internet!  One might as well argue that IP and TCP should always be in the
same wg since we mostly use one with the other.

Regards, -Rob-

Robert W. Shirey, The MITRE Corporation, Mail Stop Z202
7525 Colshire Dr., McLean, Virginia  22102-3481  USA
shirey@mitre.org * tel 703-883-7210 * fax 703-883-1397