Re: Encapsulation vs options

I don't think we need to view this as either/or.

  Clearly we need an encapsulating protocol that is derived from
something like NLSP/SP3.  That and suitable key mgmt is also clearly
the only priority item.

  However, if some of the mechanisms used there might also be used to
create a legitimate security option for IPv4, then why not look into
those on the side as a background item without priority.  A fair
number of folks that I respect say that no such option can be devised
for IPv4.  I wouldn't be surprised if the result was that nothing
ended up happening with an IPv4 option.  A look-see in the background
couldn't hurt though.

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil