Re: Encapsulation vs options

Tom:

You are absolutely correct.  There are two very different concepts being
discussed here.  At the Thursday IPSEC BOF at the lats IETF, I pointed out that
we ad to set "goals" for the group before we could write a charter.  Steve
Crocker was very vocal in the meeting; he expressed a desire for a simple
security protocol for use with IPv4, key management using the infastructure
defined for PEM, and quick proof of concept demonstration.   Many in the group
demanded that the key management approach support more than the PEM
certificates, but it was finally agreed that an approach based on PEM
certificates would be done first and that other techniques would be done later.
These "goals" are reflected in the charter.  If these "goals" do not represent
the concensus, then the charter must be put on hold until a concensus is
reached about the group "goals."

Russ

Follow-Ups: References: