Re: FWD: Re: Encapsulation vs options

From:  Steve Kent <kent@bbn.com>
To:  dee@skidrow.ljo.dec.com
>Donald,
>	In situations where a network layer security protocol is
>provided at routers, the common model is that it is provided at ALL
>the routers to a campus net or LAN.  Thus there is not a problem of
>directing traffic to the 1 router in three which has the crypto.

That's what I would have thought.  However, your first message in this
sequence contained the following sentence: "The use of encapsulation
makes it easier to direct packets to a particular router (where the
crypto capability is located)."  This gave me the impression that only
one router was crypto capable.  That lead to my series of questions
about the complexities this would cause if there were other non-crypto
routers.

>Steve

Donald