FWD: Re: Mobile hosts (was: Re: address vs. EID, revisited... )

An the connection should remain secure during all this:

From:	US1RMC::"ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu" "Simon Spero"    28-MAR-1993 07:03
To:	big-internet@munnari.oz.au
Subj:	Re: Mobile hosts (was: Re: address vs. EID, revisited... )

 [ sorry if people get this twice; I read this list via news,
   and the gateway screwed up. ]

   From: dcrocker@Mordor.Stanford.EDU (Dave Crocker)
   Newsgroups: info.big-internet
   Date: 27 Mar 93 17:32:15 GMT

   John,

   I don't take the scenario you describe as wild-eyed.  I wish, in fact,
   we had a series of scenarios (ok, class. can we all say 'requirements
   analysis'?) on which to base discussions like these.  It would give us

When I think of Nomadic IP and EID/addressing, I have a mental image of a few
scenarios. Imagine this situation:

I'm getting ready to go to Amsterdam for the IETF. I sit down and write a
quick note to a list on my "Air Newton" personal digital basketball shoe,
which is connected via ISDN to CONCERT (open channel B). I start an FTP
going, but before it finishes, the taxi to the airport arrives. I disconnect
the isdn cable, and go the taxi. In the meantime, the PDBS has switched over
to it's build in cellular telephone (hell, I smoke, so I'm going to die of
cancer anyway). The FTP finishes, and I arrive at the airport.

The flight is delayed, so I go to a connection point in the airport and jack in
connecting to (say) the Murphy Brown backbone, which is cheaper than the
cellular rates. I log in to my computer at work and start some program running.
My flight is called, so I board the plane. I can't use the cell phone on the
plane, and  GTE seat-net is unbelievably expensive, so I just tell it where I'm
sitting, so that I can be reached if urgent email arrives.

Take off occurs, and the plane leaves North America, switching from a local
network to a more exensive atlantic satellite net. Passengers in 1st class
can afford to keep their netnews flowing in; back here in geek class, a couple
of kids have strung a porta-fiber link and are playing an annoyingly loud game
of net-trek. I stuff the free earplugs into the appropriate orifices, drain
the last of the minature scotch, and doze off. Just as I get to sleep,
the PDBS buzz gently, informing me that a report from back home is ready for
downloading when I get to a cheaper connection.

Finally, we touch down at Schipol. As I step into the terminal, the cellphone
configures itself for the local service, and establishes a connection.
the PDBS grabs some important, but non urgent mail which has been waiting for
 me; the connection charge is still too high to grab the report.

Finally I make it to the hotel. I stagger to the terminal room and hook
into the show net, taking advantage of the free bits to catch up on
all the backed up traffic. Now it's time to sleep. Upstairs to the hotel
room, where I set the shoes for a wakeup call, and let them connect to
Hyatt-net. During this night, the program I started back at the airport
completes and prints the result (42) to the waiting telnet session.

Simon

Hackers Local 42- National Union of Computer Operatives, Chapel Hill section
"Arise you users of compression, though the   | WAIS/Z39.50 spoken here
tarfiles hold you down" - The Internetworkale | DoD #612 | Tel: +1-919-962-9107