Re: IPv4 Security

  It isn't clear to me that Jim's claims about NLSP having
streamlinable syntax are clearly substantiated and supported
technically.  I do understand that Hughes has significant investment
in an existing NLSP product and that it is in Hughes financial
interest to influence this group to adopt an IPSP that looks a whole
lot like NLSP.  Fortunately, we in the IETF can ignore such political
concerns and focus more on the technical problem.

  My suggestion would be that Jim write up an Internet Draft
describing in detail what his proposed "NLSP Profile" would look like,
including a readable English-language description of the whole
protocol.  Then post that I-D to this list.  If we had such an item,
then we could better focus our technical discussions.

  For that matter, we need a detailed online specificaton of swIPe as
well so we can evaluate alternatives.  If someone has an electronic
copy of SP3-D, that would also be useful to post.

  I disagree with the assertion that using IPSP and a very thin
convergence protocol won't work with CLNP.  It should work fine and
have no worse performance than regular NLSP already has with its
horrible-to-parse syntax.  Word alignment is the least of the problems
that NLSP faces.

  From hallway conversations, I understand that some vendors have been
told by a part of the US Government that they should be implementing
NLSP for the government market.  Let me just say that I really really
personally believe that the de facto government demand for an IPSP
product will greatly exceed demand for an NLSP product.  Most of the
government (including the US Navy) is heavily invested in IPv4 and is
unlikely to move quickly towards anything beginning with "ISO OSI" or
"GOSIP".  This is not official policy, but it is my personal
evaluation of reality.  People planning to sell products and make
money doing so would be wise to pay due attention to reality.  I pay
attention to reality because I'm paid to help ensure that real Navy
communications technology needs are met.  :-) :-)

Regards,

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil