Re: [resend] Use of DNS to distribute keys

kaufman@zk3.dec.com says:
> This discussion came late to pem-dev, and it could be I'm missing some
> crucial context.  But let me throw in some thoughts:
>
> 1) There is little to be gained by storing certificates of on-line
> entities in DNS because it is just as easy to ask the entity for its
> certificate(s).

But HOW do you ask the entities for their certificates? DNS is a nice
existing mechanism by which you can do the asking.

> 2) If you wanted to store certificates in DNS and were concerned about
> their length, be aware that certificates are big only because their
> designers had no motivation to make them small.  The critical
> information in a certificate is a public key (which for 512 bit RSA and
> a fixed public exponent could be 64 bytes), a signature (also 64
> bytes), and an expiration (which could be two bytes if people were
> ambitious).

Make it into a 1024 bit key, the minimum you need for real security,
add a signature, add IDENTITY information on the key and signature,
and you are pushing over the line.

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: