Re: [resend] Use of DNS to distribute keys

kaufman@zk3.dec.com says:
> >Make it into a 1024 bit key, the minimum you need for real security,
>
> I couldn't let this pass.  With our current knowledge, 1024 is about
> the maximum useful RSA key size, not the minimum.  512 bits is plenty
> for most uses.

I would suggest that you have not been reading the crypto literature
of late. I will gladly provide references if you insist.

I know people who are using keys larger than 1024 bits -- they have no
trouble with them, since the RSA keys are only used to encrypt a
conventional key. I can't see a "maximum" useful size below about
5kbit, and that maximum will only rise.

Rumor I hear has it that the military uses 1024 bit keys and larger,
which makes me think that the open literature isn't wrong.

Perry