Re: Key Managment Query/Comments...

Ran,

I agree that SNMPv2 lacks a good key distribution mechanism.
Something better will hopefully come along (out of this group
or the managment group).

As for algorithm independence, SNMPv2 (in RFC 1446) does adhere
to algorithm independence.  For the sake of interoperability it
"suggests" the use of DES, but DES is not required (just as MD5 is
suggested but not required for integrity).

I also agree that the security protocol(s) should have a completely
independent key management protocol/mechanism.  This would be
greatly benefited by a standardized interface between the
manament and security protocols.

I'm curious... Is there, at this time, a compiled listing of requirements
for the work being done by this group?  If so, could someone post it?
If not, can we get one generated?

Rob G.
glenn@osi.ncsl.nist.gov