IPSEC Agenda

Paul, I've been experimenting with a SWIPE-like IP security protocol
within my own TCP/IP package (KA9Q NOS) for the past several weeks.
Key management is currently manual, but it fully supports either
end-to-end or "encryption gateway" style operations.  You can
configure it to either encrypt (with DES-CBC), authenticate (with
keyed MD5), or both, individual datagrams on a per-host-pair basis.
I'm currently using it to encrypt much of the traffic over my dialup
slip link between home and work.

I'd like to have a chance to talk about this as "work in progress" at
the IPSEC meeting.

The more I experiment with this, the more I'm convinced that the
actual security packet header formats are not nearly as important as
the many issues surrounding how to cleanly integrate an IP-level
security protocol into the existing Internet architecture and into
existing software implementations. Even though standards bodies are
nominally not supposed to discuss implementation details, I think it
useful to look at "case studies" in order to gain insights into
broader issues that are definitely relevant to whatever standards
we produce.

Phil