Comments on Tuesday's meeting

  It seems to me that having _many_ packet formats is undesirable
because it tends to lead to non-interoperability.  However, it is not
immediately clear that having more than one format is _necessarily_
intolerable.  For example, users wishing to have "authentication
without confidentiality" might well use a different format than users
having "confidentiality and authentication" because of the differing
requirements.

  It is possible that IANA would seriously consider allocating a very
small number of different protocol IDs for the different packet
formats if a solid technical case were made.  Having separate protocol
IDs for different formats appears likely to make implementation of
multiple formats easier.

  Please note that I am not advocating multiple packet formats at this
time.  I am just trying to discuss certain items relating to that open
issue.  Other folks' comments are solicited.

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil