Donald

From:  Paul_Lambert@poncho.phx.sectel.mot.com (Paul Lambert)
>>From INTERNET                 RE>key distribution
>
>> I agree that DNS feels like the right way to store these things. It
>> would be nice if someone could convey to the people doing the next
>> generation of DNS that setting the record size high enough that this
>> could be done would be a big win. Presently, records can't be large
>> enough to accomodate future key lengths.
>
>DNS may seem attractive at first, but obtaining the destinations certificate
>is not the only requirement that we need to consider.  Here are some ideas
>on a few requirements:
>
>- Multiple certificates may be supported by a single
>  IPSEC Key Management Agent.

I don't see that this point has much to do with anything.  You can store
multiple RR's of any type in DNS...

>- IPSP will support multiple algorithms.  Determination of the
>  algorithm (for integrity, confidentiality, etc.) could be provided
>  by the same mechanism that establishes the cryptographic keying
>  relationship.

It could but if you can get a good public key for your peer, you can
then negotiate all this.

>- The IPSEC Key Management (IP-KM) should provide Rpeer-entityS
>  authentication. A real-time authentication is required to
>  ensure that the keying relationship is established correctly.

This does not say much about how you initally get and authenicate
your peer's pubic key.

>- The establishment of keying relationships for broadcast and
>  multicast communications need to be supported by IP-KM.

I'm not sure of all the ramifications here but there are currently
DNS entries for some multicast addresses.

>- A mapping of the destination address to the address of an
>  intermediate IPSEC device must be supported.  The address of
>  the decrypting device may not be the same as the final
>  destination.

An interesting point where its seems like some amount of external
configuration is going to be required.  Just where this configuration
information is going to be stored is a question.

>Using DNS to retrieve the destination certificate would allow a key to be
>created by sending only the initiators certificate to the destination.  This
>one-step key certificate exchange may appear to be a useful hack, but it
>does not provide any way to support all of the requirements.  As soon as you
>consider exchanging more than one PDU, you might as well allow for the
>destination to send its own certificate.

I have nothing against the peers sending each other certificates.  IPSEC
should cerainly have a mode which works in the absence of the DNS service.

>There may also be some problems using DNS to distribute certificates for
>mobile hosts.  The dynamics of a mobile-IP configuration would favor the use
>of key management mechanisms that are peer-to-peer.

That's fine.  I don't think the DNS is the solution to all problems.