IPsec near term work

I'd like to suggest that the most important work item for the group
is not the IPv4 security protocol itself, but rather an Internet-standard
key management protocol.

Such a key management protocol is a critical missing piece.  Security for
a wide variety of existing and in-development protocols (e.g. BGP, OSPF,
Mobile IP, SIPP, others) would be greatly facilitated by a standard key
management protocol.  Russ Housley has suggested using something derived
from the IEEE 802.10 work, others have suggested using something derived
from SDNS KMP.  I think it would be most useful if people would write up
short proposals and put them out as Internet Drafts now so that we could
all have time to read them over and discuss them intelligently (:-) in
Seattle.

I really think that the details of the IPv4 security protocol syntax
can be deferred until after a standard key management protocol is agreed
to.

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil