Re: >IPSEC Charter - New Dra

Steve Kent says:
> Ran,
>
> 	I have given some though to mobile IP security and I am not
> convinced that the key management protocol for IPSP will be just right
> for mobile IP.

Why don't you ask John Ioannidis about this? He developed one of the
first functioning Mobile IP implementations, and also is the
co-developer of swIPe. From conversations with him (I work with him),
I get more than just a slight impression that he thinks of the IPSP as
being an important component of any useful mobile IP system.

> For example, in the mobile IP case the host may need
> to be able to assert his right to use a specific IP address to a
> router, which, in turn, may need to establish to other autonomous
> systems that this net is currently serving this IP address.  This need
> to assert these identity claims is potentially very different from a
> need to establish a shared key for end-to-end communication security.

I don't see how. You are just communicating via a protocol to the
router -- this is no different from any other communication you might
have with any other entity.

> The form of the signed objects exchanged, for example, may be quite
> different.

Again, I don't see how, or why, this should be so.

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: