Re: Comments on IPSEC work

Paal:

You say:
   - It is unclear why the author introduces an additional protocol
     type (the IPPROTO_SWIPE).

Many management packages look inside packets.  There must be a protocol
identifier that warns these packages that they will not be able to
parse the contents of the IP datagram.  That is, the IP datagram is not
carrying TCP or UDP.

You say:
   - The swIPe protocol claims to support a "wide variety" of crypto
     systems. Well, this wide variety actually excludes all stream
     ciphers. If you use a stream-cipher, you will have to carry
     some use-and-discard crypto synchronization per packet, such as
     a random IV or an encrypted random packet encryption key.
     There is no room for this in the swIPe header.

Why can't you simply prepend the IV to the ciphertext?  The ciphertext will
be longer than the plaintext, but I do not see this as a problem.  Do you?

You say:
   - A good thing about swIPe is that it its header is word aligned.

I agree.  Many client protocols to IP assume that they are word aligned.  This
is not true of OSI protocols, so NLSP does not address this issue.

Russ