Re: Expired swIPe

Marcus J Ranum says:
> 	Does anyone have a list of the platforms swIPe has been ported
> to?? I noticed the distribution looks pretty Sun-specific. Anyone done
> a port to BSDI/4.4?

John wrote original code for Mach and BSD on PCs. He ported it to make
it modloadable on suns. The decision to do that was because of the
number of suns that are around, and the fact that a modloadable
implemenation can be played with with little investment in kernel
configuration. However, to my knowledge, its been running on non-suns
as long or longer than on suns.

I know a couple of people are trying to do ports to other BSD
platforms (NetBSD in particular, which has a 4.4 style kernel), but we
only handed them the code last week at Usenix.

There should be a mailing list set up at Columbia within a few days
for people hacking swIPe -- I'll announce it when it happens.

> 	How big *is* swIPe's installed base? (not counting floppies
> that were handed out at USENIX)

The number of people playing with it is significant, but the number of
people using it for real work is likely close to zero. There isn't a
key management protocol yet, and without one its hard (unless you are
building a secure bridge or point to point link for which sneakernet
is sufficient for key management) to use such a thing without key
management.

Myself, I (obviously) think key management is the key to everything,
and thats what I'm spending my neurons on these days.

Perry