Granularity of authentication in swIPe

I just read the swipe I-D.  My comments are from the point of view of someone
  involved in providing secured access to a corporate network from
  coporate networks of other companies networks.  We have three major
  requirements:

  a) Transparency of client/server communications, both for TCP and UDP.
     We need more than managed TELNET and FTP access.

  b) Granularity of identification down to the individual user level.
     We don't necessarily trust all of the individuals from another
     corporation, and they may migrate from ip-address to ip-address.

  c) Use of a firewall/bastion host to mediate access.
     Both for high-confidence isolation, and session-layer logging.

We perceive that we have two choices here:

 a) Embed Kerberos in every client/server application we have control over.
    This may involve cross-realm authentication.

 b) Use an encapsulation scheme, like SOCKS, with some authentication
    extensions.

We have decided that for the short-term, we want to use (b), since we can
  implement it entirely at the user-level, without custom kernels and
  custom router software; and with a few clever tricks, without recompiling
  any code.  Further to that, I'm working on a document
  that I hope to make an I-D to describe SOCKS encapsulation, with the
  authentication extensions I mentioned.  Like swIPe, the new SOCKS
  protocol specification defines authentication information very loosely,
  relying on 'out-of-band' techniques for key-management, etc.

How does this relate to IPSP/swIPe?  It occurs to me that swIPe would be
  a potentially better way for us to go in the long-term, but there is
  an implicit assumption in the protocol that an authenticator is bound
  in some way to a source ip-address, and not an individual user of the
  network.  That is, a swIPe packet carries with it an AUTHENTICATOR, but
  no corresponding IDENTIFIER.  Unless I've mis-read the I-D.

--
Marcus Leech        |Any opinions expressed are mine.         |+1 613 763 9145
VE3MDL              | and not those of my employer            |+1 613 567 5484