Re: Expired swIPe

Marcus,

	I never suggested that swIPe should not be released nor that
interested parties should not experiment with it.  I just suggested
that declaring it to be the concensus protocol of the IPSEC WG was
premature, based on my attendance at all of the WG meetings and
monitoring of this mailing list.  Presumably the folks who are most
interested in experimentation do not require this, or any other
protocol, to be named a proposed standard before they are able to
carry out such experiments.

	As for IPX and DOS, they are not Internet standards for a
variety of reasons, among which is the requirement that the things
being standardized must be under the change control of the Internet,
something that neither Microsoft nor Novell is likely to agree to,
irrespective of the utility of these things to the Internet community.

	Biological Darwinism is an often misunderstood evolutionary
theory.  Its analogous application to commercial software creates even
more opportunities for confusion.  Does that latter "theory" suggest
that software evolves as a result of random mutations (vs. bug fixes
and feature extensions)?  A recent article in Technology Review, "Is
Life the Product of a Grand Design?" might be relevent reading on this
topic.

Steve