Re: Granularity of authentication in swIPe

   Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 15:42:00 -0400
   From: Steve Kent <kent@BBN.COM>

	   You're right, if you want to require that the crypto interface
   parse the IPSP header, then IPSP treat the use of a sequence number as
   IV uniformly.  Your view is that the associated modulariy doesn't seem
   to be worhtwhile; my view is that the proposed space-saving hack
   doesn't seem to be worth violating modularity.

It doesn't need to *parse* the IPSP header --- the IPSP layer can merely
pass the parsed header in a structure to the crypto routine.  Some
crypto routines may use the header information; and some crypto routines
won't.  Presumably, systems where actual crypto is performed by a Top
Secret magic mystical black box which self-destructs using thermite if
you look at it the wrong way, may not use the header information.  But
at this point, we're talking about implementation details of each
particular crypto system.  I don't see a terrible modularity violation
--- certainly it's no worse than what say, what CSLIP does.

						- Ted