Re: Granularity of authentication in swIPe

Perry,

	TCP/IP doesn't have the diversity of options envisioned for
IPSP.  You don't get to negotiate the TCP checksum or the sequence
numer size for example.  We have a negotiation for encryption and
integrity algorithms, sequence numbers (and their size?), and all this
after we have performed an as-yet-unspecified key management protocol.
In comparison, TCP is pretty well fixed and thus subject to quite a
bit of optimization.  IP is more variable because of IP options, but
many implementations do an extremely poor job of dealing with IP
options, some to the point of crashing!

Steve