SAID size

(Apologies if this is no longer current; I've been away and am plowing
through a very large number old email messages.)

I'd really like to see at least a 32-bit SAID.  Even with
address-oriented SAIDs, I need a large SAID space.  Some of my systems
have a VERY large number of simultaneous or near-simultaneous
connections.  Also, a 32-bit aligned SAID has performance advantages
on most systems.

In general, I'd really really like to see at least 32-bit alignment
and preferably 64-bit alignment of all possible fields.  Early
experiments we've done indicate that (at least on some of our
platforms) protocol processing is the performance bottleneck, not the
bit scambling hardware.  I consider it important to be able to perform
IP/ATM processing at line rates (at least OC-3c or 155 Mbps, with a
strong preference for higher performance).

Thanks,

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil