Re: Architectural relationship between KMP and IPSP

Tim,

I've given some thought to this problem (since I'm trying to implement
something) and I think the most general solution is to let the application
decide what security it wants from IPSP -- if any. That's the hook for
the key management protocol; it would turn off IPSP level protections in
favor of its own.

Another (somewhat related) problem is puncturing firewalls, one of my
original motivations for IPSP. It would probably be easiest if the key
management protocol would share the same IP protocol number as IPSP
itself, probably by using a special reserved SAID. That would make it
easy to configure a firewall to allow all IPSP-related communications
to come in.

Phil