Re: Thoughts on a basic encryption mode

uri@watson.ibm.com says:
> Due to patent issues I suggest we use DES just for now, and in the [near]
> future it's likely we'll see new [stream] algorithm[s] faster than IDEA
> and at least as secure. But at least we won't have to worry about
> being sued if our implementations end up in a product (:-).

I assume you are refering to Coppersmith's SEAL algorithm -- which
sounds rather neat...

> Well, even though those permutations indeed have no cryptographic value,
> I'd rather have them in to be 100% compatible with the hardware...

The more I think about this, the more I agree -- UUNet, TIS and other
firms are going to be selling hardware based IPSP to many of their
customers -- you are going to need hardware to securely bridge two
networks at T1 or similar speeds. An optional "consenting adults"
protocol without the permutations seems better.

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: