Re: Thoughts on a basic encryption mode

Jim,

	I agree with the general thrust of your observations.  When I
teach my tutorial on network security, I argue in favor of per-packet
IVs.  Without their use, identical prefixes of packets are visible.  I
am less concerned about the ability you cite to do frequency analysis
with most of the Internet transport layer protocols, but in general
the use of a per-packet IV is a good practice.  However, I was
pointing out that the FIPS does allow for not using a per-packet IV
with CBC mode, which addresses the concern of Phil and others who want
to be frugal about bandwidth in wireless environments.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: