Re: Thoughts on a basic encryption mode

Steve Kent says:
> 	I agree with the general thrust of your observations.  When I
> teach my tutorial on network security, I argue in favor of per-packet
> IVs.  Without their use, identical prefixes of packets are visible.

Doesn't it depend on the encryption algorithm you use? I don't think
there even *is* IV for a stream cipher, for example!

> pointing out that the FIPS does allow for not using a per-packet IV
> with CBC mode, which addresses the concern of Phil and others who want
> to be frugal about bandwidth in wireless environments.

Why go too far to wireless? (:-)
My plain CSLIP wouldn't appreciate extra 8 bytes!
--
Regards,
Uri         uri@watson.ibm.com      acheron!angmar!uri 	N2RIU

Follow-Ups: References: