Re: Thoughts on a basic encryption mode

Steve Kent says:
> 	You're right, not all algorithms use IVs in the form we
> described.  In my tutorial I use DES as a pedagogical symmetric
> algorithm example and review the FIPS 81 modes and their
> characteristics.  However, many algorithms do make use of IVs, not
> just DES, including some stream ciphers, so the concept, while not
> universal, is fairly general.

In any case, since we are descussing the packet format for a specific
security transform (whether the DES security transform packet format
needs an IV), the decision is specific to the algorithm in
question. One of the great things about the encapsulation and
authentication headers we picked is their ability to allow us to
choose the features we need for any specific security transform. For
IPSP using SEAL, say, an IV may become meaningless, but the format can
simply not provide for one and all is well.

Perry