Re: reserving some SAIDs

Ran,

	I'd feel much more comfortable if there was a lot of
explanation to match the request (the same way Jon Postel used to ask
the requestior of a class A network number why they wanted to many
addresses).  The form of the explanation would not just be what
combination of algorithms they are thinking about, but how the
reservation of this big chunk of the SAID space fits in with the
problem of establishing the overall set of attributes that are bound
to an SA, why it's necessary to fix bit for these specific attributes
when there are lots of others that need to be specified, how
management of SAIDs by the IPSP end points is simplified by this a
priori assigment, etc.  If we start fixing bits in SAIDs to mean
specific things re key management, we can chop up this space in a
hurry.  When I said I could live with fewer SAID bits, I did not
envision this sort of pre-allocation.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: