Versions

> From: Steve Kent <kent@BBN.COM>
> 	We have a slight problem with alignming the SILS SAID and the
> IPSP SAID, in that we were planning to make the four high order bits
> of the SAID a version number field for the protocol, leaving us with
> a 28-bit SAID.  This doesn't show up in Ran's diagram.  The motivation
> was that a different version of IPSP should retain the same protocol
> ID (its not a big space), and we wanted a way to distinguish among
> a few different versions of IPSP.

I question the need for a version.  The only way we'll get widespread
security is if we settle on one version and stick with it for a long
time.  Multiple versions will lead to non-interoperability.

If we stick with this version long enough, we may have another version
in 10 years.  Four IP Protocol numbers in 10 years won't hurt too badly.

Let's just do it, and get it right.  Phil has given us some nice
implementation experience, we all agree pretty much on what we want.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu