Re: Versions

 > "William Allen Simpson" says:
 > > I question the need for a version.  The only way we'll get widespread
 > > security is if we settle on one version and stick with it for a long
 > > time.  Multiple versions will lead to non-interoperability.
 >
 > The version bits were asked for during the meeting on the basis that
 > IP's version number has allowed us a nice transition facility. I'm
 > unsure as to whether the version bits are valuable or not. I'd
 > personally like to hear some discussion of this.

if you don't have a version field someplace then you may find
yourself in a position where you need one and don't have it and
therefore are up the proverbial tributary without obvious means of
propulsion.

if you have a version field and it turns out that you don't need it,
then you just carry around a couple of extra bits. and if we are
smart, later on we may figure out how to reclaim those bits...

--
Frank Kastenholz