Re: working keys

Hugo:

I prefer the model that is described in the draft IEEE 802.10c key
management protocol document.  I posted a note a month ago about the
anonymous FTP location for that document.

In the IEEE 802.10c model, the SAID denotes a shared symmetric key and its
associated attributes.  If the key needs to be "refreshed" then the
SPAWN_SA exhange is used.  SPAWN_SA can use a one way function to transform
the current traffic key into a "fresh" one, but a new SAID is assigned.  I
believe that the assignment of the new SAID is critical.  This avoids all
possible confusion about which key or attributes apply to a particular
datagram.

Russ