Re: fast 386 DES code figures

	 What still bugs me is that Schneier lists the speed of one
	 commercial DES implementation as 40,600 encryptions/sec on a
	 33 Mhz 486.  I just don't see how that's possible without
	 using a lot more memory for lookup table space (I use only 2K,
	 which is nice in a DOS environment).

Well, yes -- you can use a lot more table space.  In particular, you
can compose the S and P boxes.  Or maybe it does run in 32 bit mode;
Schneier's table imlies that it does.  Or maybe a branch-free
implementation is the wrong strategy, since it could mean that you
aren't executing out of the instruction cache.