Re: fast 386 DES code figures

I'm currently using a 2K precomputed SP table. Takes 8 lookups per round.

The 8K 486 cache *ought* to be large enough to hold everything: the
encrypt routine, the SP table and the calling function loop. If not
the on-chip cache, then certainly the external cache on my
motherboard.  So unrolling probably doesn't hurt once you've made the
first few passes around the calling loop.

I assume that the DES code will get called "many" times in a tight
loop whenever it is used, thus landing it in the cache for most of the
loop. This is probably true when encrypting or decrypting moderate to
large packets.

Maybe I'll go check this. Good point.

Phil