Re Ted Re: IBM patents on key distribution and authentication

Ted says:

>Yikes!  Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm reading the
>claim correctly, it claims to cover all all forms of challenge-response
>authentication.  Fortunately, there shouldn't be any lack of prior art
>if this is the case.....

I completely agree with you, but that's my personal position, of course.

>Do you know when the patent was actually filed, as opposed to when it
>was issued?

Yep, March 20, 1991. Well, don't blame me, I'm just the messenger!
For IBM I'll say that I'm sure there is no policy to over-claim.
But, of course, the best patent lawyers are only (somewhat) human :-(

Best, Amir