IBM patents on key distribution and authentication

Ref:  Your note of Mon, 08 Aug 1994 18:04:50 -0400

Perry Metzger says:

> addressing only the question of whether we should knowingly specify
> the use of technology that we know to have a *valid* patent on it, and
> whether it is ethical for participants in working groups to knowingly
> suggest such technology without mentioning the patents on it -- the
> answer I give to both questions is "no".

Indeed, I already mentioned during my presentation in the IETF
this issue of the patents and our current
work to clarify IBM's position with respect to them.
Our personal position is to influence IBM decision so that the
patents are waived for use in the Internet protocols but the final decision
is not ours.

In addition, let put it very clear that we have not patented or intend to
patent the particular protocols that  we are proposing to these lists.

Hugo