Re: IPSEC SMIB

Jim,

	The reason I spoke about compression in the context of low
speed links has nothing to do with the speed of compression algorithm
implementations.  One usually finds compression performed at low
layers in the protocol hierarchy, and on a link-by-link basis in the
Internet.  Low speed dialup links benefit considerably from such
compression, usuallu performed by the modem.  The introduction of
encryption at the IP layer negates the effect of lower layer
encryption and this motivates the use of compression in conjunction
with IPSP.  I agree that compression could be used in a wider range of
circumstances in the Internet, and hardware compression at end systems
could become more attractive than software compression in such systems
is today.  However, what really motivates use of compression with IPSP
is precisely the scenario I cited.

	IANA-registration of algorithm identifiers serves to promote
interoperability.  One can probably register IDs that are essentially
private, but it encourages non-interoperability and thus I'm not too
anxious to promote that approach.

Steve