Re: IPSEC SMIB

On Aug 10, 19:33, James P. Hughes wrote:

% We must have a way of negotiate proprietary, experimental, or special
% purpose algorithms which do not have the possibility of being
% misinterpreted by the responder.

One approach is to make the algorithm namespace beginning with the
string "X-" reserved for private experiments.  This has been used in
other Internet namespaces in the past.

% Requiring IANA blessing of all algorithms is too harsh. Too inflexible.

Requiring IANA registration of all algorithms is entirely appropriate.
No one said anything about "blessing", just registration.  IANA has
shown much flexibility and done an excellent job in management of
various Internet namespaces through the years.  Registration of
algorithms is an _entirely_ appropriate activity for IANA.  The
alternative really is chaos and non-interoperability.  There is no way
that I will go along willingly down the road to non-interoperability.

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil