Re: IPSEC SMIB

Jim,

	IANA registration of an algorithm ID is not the same as "IANA
blessing" of the algorithm.  Look at the assigend numbers list for UDP
ports, for example, and you'll see examples that are clearly
experimental.  I don't think that registration is especially onerous.
I agree with Perry that we don't want to encourage proliferation of
algorithm IDs for operational purposes, but I also agree with your
observation that we need to be able to conduct experiments without
confusing others.  I think IANA registration has proven to be fairly
good in that regard, over the years.

Steve