Re: IPSEC SMIB

   From: hughes@hughes.network.com (James P. Hughes)
   Date: Thu, 11 Aug 1994 16:32:32 -0500

   If someone had said "you may get proprietary numbers from IANA by asking"
   without "in all likelyhood", "probability" and "close to zero" I would have
   backed off.

The reason for not putting in absolutes is because you can always find
ways to abuse absolute policies.  Say, for example, if there field is
2**32 bits, and someone in one fell swoop asks for 2**32-1 proprietary
numbers, for no good reason?  Clearly the IANA should tell that person
to go take a hike.  OK, so we make the rule that you can't ask for more
than 8 numbers at a time --- and someone sends in 2**24 requests for 8
numbers apiece.

Any process can be abused.  This is why there is such a thing as leaving
latitude for human discretion.  The IANA has done a good job for the
past decade; your fears are misplaced.

							- Ted