Re: IVs, summary of discussion

>From: Steve Kent <kent@BBN.COM>
>
>Uri,
>
>	I agree that providing integrity protection along with
>encryption at layer 3 may be redundant for some applications.  The
>concern is that users in general, and even many application
>developers, may not be well prepared to determine how well the
>interaction between lower layer crypto and their application layer
>integrity mechanisms serve to protect them.

Steve,

Integrity protection may be worse than just redundant
for some applications. It may actually be quite harmful to
the useability of the application. Encrypted video is one
example where the extra cost of computing an integrity check
may well degrade the performance to below acceptable
levels. Integrity protection on video is of extremely
dubious value.

Ashar.