IPSEC requirements

I agree with your additional reasons; I stand by my belief that there are 3
basic and orthogonal requirements.  I think IPSEC should provide a way  to mix
& match solutions to these three requirements.  I think IPSEC should specify
one mandatory mechanism for each of the three requirements (to support
interoperability) and should allow implementations to add other mechanisms (to
allow implementors to search for good balances between cost, performance, and
function).