Re: Some crypto timings

> From: Phil Karn <karn@unix.ka9q.ampr.org>
> On this machine, single-key DES encrypts or decrypts at 2.78
> megabits/sec, IDEA does 2.344 megabits/sec, and MD5 hashes at 19.32
> megabits/sec.

Wonderful.  Thanks for the excellent work, Phil.

Looks to me like MD5 is good enough for authentication at Ethernet speeds,
which is where these processors are likely to be attached.  That's what
I was worried about.

You mention an MD5 based cipher.  That would be great, since we could
minimize code and maximize speed in low-end boxes.  Please keep us posted.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu