Re: IPSEC requirements

At 19:04 9/4/94 -0500, Gerald J Creager wrote:
>Marcus J Ranum sez:
>>        Generally, when you're talking to folks who are doing
>> firewalls, you may find that "Firewall" != "router + screening"
>> 100% of the time. Perhaps you may wish to call them something
>> else, or perhaps you may wish me to call them something else,
>> but the term "firewall" has a fairly wide interpretation these
>> days. It's best to understand that, to prevent confusion, which
>> was the purpose of my previous missive.
>
>Guess I have to side with Bill's interpretation here.  The IP-level firewall
>is in widespread use, at least from the places I play.

Well, I have to side with Marcus.  There are lots of types of firewalls,
the IP "packet screening router" is but one type of firewall.  It is the
most common and many seem to feel that firewall == packet-screening-router,
but I always find it makes life simpler to make a point of identifying
which type of firewall I am talking about.

I am 100% for anything that removes ambiguity.  Let's just be unambiguous
here for the sake of clarity.

Brian Lloyd, President                         Lloyd Internetworking
brian@lloyd.com                                3031 Alhambra Drive
(916) 676-1147 - voice                         Suite 102
(916) 676-3442 - fax                           Cameron Park, CA  95682