Re: Modular approach to key management for IPSP

Juan,Amir,Hugo,Pau,

Let me offer a few comments on your note.

First of all, I completely agree with the basic modular approach that you
advocate. As you noted, it is already embodied in our SKIP proposal.

Sounds as if you have concerns about SKIP. I would be glad to hear
what they are, and see if they can be addressed in some manner.
SKIP is a proposal. As such, it is not cast in stone. I would like
for all of us to work together as a group in identifying and solving
problems. This, I believe, is the whole purpose of the open standards
process.

With respect to the issue of the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI),
I believe we differ in our approach. We at Sun dont believe that the
PKI is a train that is going to arrive at the station, for which
we are all waiting passengers. We believe that the PKI is a train
that needs to be *driven* by us as the industry. If we all wait for it
to arrive, it will never arrive.

While I agree that it would be irresponsible for us to ignore
building bridges to what exists today, it would be equally if
not more irresponsible for us to ignore the task of building
the PKI, which I believe falls on our shoulders (where by "our"
I mean the industry as represented at the IETF).

We realize that paper documents do not make up an infrastructure.
Sun (and my group in particular) will play its part in providing
concrete solutions and working with other interested parties to
share technology and pool resources where it makes sense. We dont
intend the leave the PKI as an IOU for the end-users, who will
ultimately benefit from this. This, of course, is not completely
altruistic. It makes business sense for us (and others) to provide
the solutions that will work best for the Internet community.

Peace,
Ashar.