Re: basic question: should we allow firewall-like implementations?

Hello Russ, Hugh and all,

I do not suggest that everybody should implement key management for
IP, and IP layer security, in routers. However I believe this would be a
practical solution for many scenarios, in conjunction with end to
end solutions.

Of course I understand and respect your viewpoint. However, the question is:
should the standard exclude the implementation on small, router-like machines?

I believe the reality is that we need a solution which could be implemented
in a router (or gateway, filtering firewall,...), to protect an entire network
in one access point. This is one of the benefits of doing an IP-layer solution
in the first place, and has been frequently mentioned as a req' for IP-SEC.

I think this is an important point that the WG should consider. Namely, I
urge all of you IP-Sec-ers to voice your opinion on this and have a
discussion on net and in the IETF. While I believed we have agreement on
this, it appears that even such basic design decisions are not clear yet.

Best, Amir

Follow-Ups: References: