Re: SKIP & Patent #5,081,678

>From: uunet!eng.sun.com!Ashar.Aziz (Ashar Aziz)
>
>Sara, Amir and other interested parties,
>
>Since this issue has been raised a few times by members of this
>WG, I have reviewed the claims of patent #5,081,678 (assigned
>to DEC) to see if an implementation of the SKIP specification
>would infringe on this patent.
>
>It is clear that what is described in the SKIP specification is
>*not* covered by patent #5,081,678.
>
>I will review the essential claims of this patent to explain why.

With the caveats that I don't work for DEC anymore and didn't
speak for them when I did, I concur with this analysis. There is
ample "prior art" concerning including a short term key encrypted
under a longer term key in the header of a message. Kerberos
is an example - look at tickets and authenticators.

	--Charlie
	(kaufman@iris.com)