Re: IPSEC at Dec IETF

> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
> Paul_Lambert-P15452@email.mot.com says:
> > I have a one comment on this ... if you change the header format it is no
> > longer IPv6 pure.
>
> That is not really true. The AP header is identical to what we already
> agreed on and the ESP is identical other than the contents of the
> opaque portion of the packet. The opaque portion is, well, opaque, and
> I'm merely suggesting that it be made even more opaque by making it
> security transform dependant. Under that circumstance, Ran's drafts
> and what we were proposing as IPSP become completely identical -- so
> there is very little point in having two specs.

Good.  This is what I understood you to mean.

Now, all we need to do is get the WG to take a hard look at these to see
if there are any theoretical or practical issues not addressed in Ran's
drafts.

> > At the last meeting, we were moving towards replacing the IPv6 encapsulation
> > with IPSP.
>
> It would be better to say that after a couple of days we re-derived
> the v6 encapsulation and decided to try to have one encapsulation and
> call it IPSP, but it was basically just Ran's encapsulation.

Yes, that's what I thought.  But Perry said at the time that there were
a few changes to be made for IPv4.  The placement of the ISV and next
header INSIDE the opaque portion were the issues I remember.

> The only way this comes up is
> in the question of how many bytes are used inside the opaque portion
> of the opaque encapsulation to define "next header" or the
> equivalent. If Ran is willing to let this be transform dependant the
> specs suddenly become absolutely identical and ther is no longer a
> reason to declare them to be two different protocols.

I spoke to Ran.  I think he is willing.  He has left for SJ already,
though.  We'll see next week if we have reached consensus.

Everybody, please read draft-atkinson-ipng-esp-00.txt and -ah-00.txt.
Bring a copy with you to mark up!

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu