Re: IBM US Patent #5,148,479

jwlowe@VNET.IBM.COM says:
> The decision by IBM to dedicate US Patent
> 5,148,479 is conditioned upon the adoption by the IETF of the IBM
> proposal for modular key management.  If this proposal is not so adopted,
> IBM will not so dedicate this patent.  IBM will, however, offer
> nonexclusive licenses to requesting parties, under its  normal
> reasonable terms and conditions, including its then-current royalty
> rates.  Please advise me when a decision has been made on which
> proposal will be included in the Internet standard.

It might be helpful if IBM were to grant a blanket release of license
for use of the patent in experimental implementations of the proposed
protocol for purpose of examining the protocol for use as an IETF
standard. IETF rules generally mandate that there be experience with
multiple interoperable implementations before a protocol is accepted
for standardization.

Perry

Follow-Ups: References: