Re: Diffie-Hellman (note by Hugo)

>>  I don't really think the cost of Diffie-Hellman is all that
>>  intolerable.  I used it all last week on my not-blazingly-fast laptop.
>>  It took a few seconds each time, not so long to tempt me to bypass it.

>I'm concerned that this might cease to be true for hosts running applications
>that require connections to lots of different hosts.  Distributed system
>maintenance actions, for example.

Yes, but:

1) Such hosts generally have far more CPU horsepower than my laptop,
and

2) The precomputed stuff (the first DH exponentiation and the RSA
signing) can be shared across multiple security associations,
especially when they are being created rapidly, i.e., more often than
the normal background precomputation rate.

Again, if you "turn the knob" on the Photuris background key
generation rate all the way down, you essentially get SKIP's level of
performance. But unlike SKIP, *my* protocol goes all the way up to
11... :-)

Phil