Re: Proposal: Perfect forward secrecy a MUST

>From perry@imsi.com Wed Dec 14 15:30:36 1994
>Ashar Aziz says:
>> Having open long-term open security associations with a large
>> number of managed entities at the management station is not a
>> particularly inviting prospect, considering that rebooting
>> a management entity requires re-establishing all those associations.
>
>True as that is, rebooting a management station as it stands is a huge
>problem. As an example, SPECTRUM from Cabletron takes quite a long
>time to restart -- long enough that I am not sure anyone would notice
>the association re-establishment time.

I must admit to not being familiar with the SPECTRUM technology,
so I dont know why reboots are a problem. However, I cannot
in principle discern why a management station reboot has to
be such a cumbersome process, where establishing many (possibly
several hundred) security associations can be considered
a small additional overhead.

Ashar.

P.S. This particular case was intended to be simply an
example, and is not terribly germane to the overall argument,
so we dont have to go into great depth on this one.